On October 23, 1926, nine veterans from the First World War started what is today King’s Branch #6, Royal Canadian Legion. The branch had its roots in veteran’s groups begun at Camp Aldershot shortly after World War One. “King’s Branch” was the name decided upon because the first unit to offer its services was the 6th Battalion Mounted Rifles of Kings County under Lieut. Col. Bob Ryan. The Legion became the Royal Canadian Legion in 1960. To this date, King’s Branch #6 is the largest branch in this part of the county. Since its creation, King’s Branch #6 has dedicated time, energy and assets to a wide variety of community causes and to the well-being of members and veterans. The main reason for the existence of the Legion is to see that veterans and their families are protected, by the Legion’s community efforts, grants, donations, bursaries, and scholarships. The Ladies’ Auxiliary of the Royal Canadian Legion #6 was organized in 1949 and the Charter signed May 27, 1949, with fifteen original members. In front of the Legion is a memorial to the soldiers from the area who died serving their country in battle from World War One onwards. The entrance way of the Legion holds two mannequins displaying male and female uniforms, cases full of military jackets, and war time photos. The museum is located downstairs to the right. The walls are full of photos of squadrons, commanders, and pictures of war craft such as ships, tanks, and air planes. There are uniforms of every kind; Navy, Army, Air Force, plus old helmets and commanders’ caps. Most of the uniforms are in cases, but there is a mannequin in the corner displaying the uniform of the “Seaforth Highlanders (Ladies from Hell)”. There are cases displaying all sorts of medals, badges, and pins. In a separate display is a Victoria Cross medal, along with photographs of those in the area who have received the honour. Of course, one of the main attractions of the museum are the cases of army equipment and weapons. Among these articles are a first edition gas mask, an Italian machete, and a 9 mm German Luger. A hammock that used to belong to an aeroplane hangs on one wall, folded in a way in which if you crashed in the ocean, it could double as a flotation device. A very interesting artifact is a laminated front page of Kentville’s newspaper, The Advertiser, which bears the headline, “Germany Surrenders”. Accompanying the newspaper are numerous war time posters, and a small library of war books. The Museum is a wonderful tribute to the memory of our local veterans. The artifacts are reminiscent of an important part of our past which must always be remembered.
Fox, Brent. “Legion plans 70th anniversary event.” The Advertiser. September 10, 1996: pg. 25. Nichols, Mabel G. The Devil’s Half Acre – A Look at Kentville’s Past. Kentville: Kentville Centennial Committee, 1986. “Time to honor history, accomplishments.” The Advertiser. October 15, 1996: