Although the United Baptist Church was not organized until 1874, the story of Baptist work goes back to the beginning of the town. For fifty years prior to the founding of this church, Baptist services were held in Kentville at the old Courthouse as early as 1824 until it was destroyed by fire in 1849. The Baptists then met in the school house and later in Redden’s Hall, the home of Mrs. William Dennison, on the flat, and in Blanchard Hall.
In March 1874 the Baptists organized a church on Main Street with a membership of twenty-four. Land was secured from Charles Masters and the church erected on this site, where it remains to this day. There was much needed expansions made in 1897, 1912, and 1929. In 1943 the entire interior was renovated and in 1948 a two storey addition was built across the back, doubling the Sunday School space.
In January 1960 a new sanctuary was opened immediately, east of the old church which was then entirely renovated to provide additional Sunday School rooms downstairs and a kitchen and recreational facilities upstairs. The old church was then known as the Baptist Church Hall. In 1981 the church hall, (the original church), was one hundred seven years old, and was demolished to make way for a new Christian Education Centre. Work on the new two and three storey centre began soon after a sod turning ceremony held on July 5, 1981.
The United Baptist Church was the last church to be built in Kentville of the four major denominations.
Eaton, Arthur Wentworth Hamilton. The History of Kings County. Belleville, Ontario: Mika Studio, 1972.
Nichols, Mabel G. The Devil’s Half Acre – A Look at Kentville’s Past. Kentville: Kentville Centennial Committee, 1986.