Before 1923 the Methodists and Presbyterians had separate churches. St. Paul was the Presbyterian church and St. Stephen was the Methodist church. In 1912 the old Presbyterian church was sold and razed to make room for a Royal Bank of Canada. From that time until the new church was built, services were combined with the Methodists, using the Methodist Church on an alternating basis.
In 1914 a new stone Presbyterian Church was built on Main Street and dedicated in 1915. When the Methodists and Presbyterians joined in 1923, the new church became the place of worship, and was named the United Church of St. Paul and St. Stephen. The old Methodist church was set apart for a church hall. Later the church hall was used as a commercial enterprise and finally it was demolished.
In 1925 Rev. A. A. MacLeod became minister of the new church. Under his guidance the two bodies became more closely united in a spirit of unity and fellowship.
On January 11, 1940, there was a fire in which the auditorium was extensively damaged. For a few months services were held in the Capital Theatre while the church was substantially altered. In 1952 a church hall was under construction, and was completed in 1954. A few years later an extension was made at the back providing extra classrooms.
For the United Church of St. Paul and St. Stephen, 1975 meant not only fifty years in the United Church of Canada, but fifty-two years of a voluntary union, agree upon by the united bodies and in which harmony had prevailed.
The United Church of St. Paul and St. Stephen is another of the few stone churches left in the area. It is proof that different denominations can commune harmoniously under one roof.
Nichols, Mabel G. The Devil’s Half Acre – A Look at Kentville’s Past. Kentville: Kentville Centennial Committee, 1986.