Outdoor Ice in Kentville
We have three outdoor skating ponds in Town:
- Duck Pond (at Oakdene Park)
- Frog Pond (at Memorial Park)
- Miners Marsh
When the ponds are frozen please enjoy the ice for skating!
About Ice Thickness
Random ice thickness testing is done on each of three outdoor skating ponds (Duck Pond, Frog Pond and Miners Marsh) in Kentville, providing general ice conditions which can vary over the ice surface.
Did you know ice thickness should be:
- 15 cm for walking or skating alone
- 20 cm for skating parties or games
- 25 cm for snowmobiles
Be safe. Avoid going out on the ice at night and always check conditions before venturing out.
Many factors affect ice thickness:
- Water depth and size of body of water
- Currents, tides and other moving water
- Chemicals including salt
- Fluctuations in water levels
- Logs, rocks and docks absorbing heat from the sun
- Changing air temperature
- Shock waves from vehicles traveling on the ice
For more information, please visit the Red Cross website.
Random ice thickness testing is done on each of the three ponds (Duck Pond, Frog Pond and Miners Marsh) in Kentville, providing general ice conditions which can vary over the ice surface.
Persons using the ponds and lakes do so at their own risk.