CUPE Downtown Maintenance Position
Posted December 10, 2020
Reports to the Director of Public Works or Lead Hand and carries out the duties as laid out by Public Works. Is responsible for cleanup and any other duties that may be assigned in the future.
NATURE AND LOCATION OF WORK
This position is responsible for the cleanup of Centre Square, the Recreation Centre Courtyard, River Street, Aberdeen Street, Cornwallis Street to the Bridge, Webster Street and Webster Court, Main Street (Chester Avenue to Baptist Church), and all downtown parking lots. Centre Square should be the first priority each morning. All tree grates and planter boxes are to be inspected and cleaned free of garbage and weeds. A map will be provided if required. Private parking lots are not to be cleaned. A valid class 5 driver’s license is required.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- To carry out clean-up activities for Public Works and other duties that may be assigned such as supplementary help for “Special Events”
- Ensure that work site operations are conducted in a safe manner as outlined in the Town’s Health & Safety manual. Standard PPE (hardhat, high visibility clothing and safety boots) are a necessity.
- Maintain good public relations in the course of duties.
- A pushcart is to be used during clean-up operations.
- Mornings will be spent cleaning up the business district and afternoons will be spent working other Public Works jobs as directed by the Lead Hand.
- Various weekly custodial duties in facilities such as the Public Works building.
- Assisting Public Works operators including during winter work, as required.
HOURS AND DAYS OF WORK, FLEXIBLE HOURS
- Normal hours of work will be eight hours per day: 8:00 am to 4:30 pm with a half hour lunch break and a 15 minute break in the morning and afternoon. (40 hours per week)
- Normal full days of work will be Tuesday to Saturday inclusive with Sunday & Monday off.
- Winter work schedule shifts to Wednesday to Sunday inclusive with Monday & Tuesday off so that snow & ice removal from crosswalks can be addressed on the weekends.
This is a CUPE (unionized) position in Public Works.
Rate of Pay: $21.35 with a 3 month probationary period, as per the CUPE Collective Agreement
Resumes will be accepted until Wednesday December 23rd, 2020 at 2:00 pm, should be addressed to Jennifer West and will be received at the Town of Kentville office at 354 Main Street or by confidential email to: firstname.lastname@example.org