POSTED: MONDAY MARCH 23, 2020
UPDATED MARCH 26TH TO INCLUDE FIRE BAN INFORMATION
UPDATED MARCH 31ST TO INCLUDE PAYMENTS AND INTEREST INFORMATION
UPDATED APRIL 16 TO INCLUDE KBC "PROJECT STAY HOME" VIDEO and PARKS CANADA UPDATE
UPDATED MAY 1ST TO INCLUDE PARKS RE-OPENING INFORMATION
UPDATED MAY 29TH TO INCLUDE EMPLOYER AND EMPLOYEE RESOURCES
UPDATED JUNE 25 TO INCLUDE SERVICE CANADA DOCUMENTS FOR EMPLOYEES AND EMPLOYERS
RE: KENTVILLE RESPONSE TO COVID-19
Due to rising concerns around the spread of COVID-19 in our community the Town of Kentville has taken a number of proactive steps to help assist with slowing the spread of the virus, including closing its facilities, parks, and trails until further notice.
These are challenging times, and we are calling on all citizens to do their part to slow the spread of the virus. A current list of steps the Town has taken to date is included below; this list of actions may change as the situation continues to develop. Please continue to refer to the Town’s website for updated information as it is posted.
- Town Hall is currently closed to the public. Service delivery will not be interrupted, staff are still working and can serve via phone, email, website and Facebook.
- SOME Recreation Facilities including the Arena and the Recreation Centre are closed until further notice, and all programs hosted in those facilities are cancelled.
- All grassed Kentville sports fields and all playgrounds are closed.
- Parks and trails in Kentville, including the Kentville Skate Park and Miners Marsh are open, but social distancing needs to be maintained and these areas will be monitored. (please read in full detail here)
- There is a Province wide burn ban in effect until further notice (read more here)
- Parks Canada has posted complete information regarding provincial parks on their official website. The information found on that page is specific to PROVINCIALLY operated parks.
Staff will continue to serve Kentville citizens through email, on the phone, through Facebook and via the various contact forms on the Kentville website. See below for further information about how to reach us.
- To schedule an appointment with the planning department call (902) 679-2535.
- To file an application for a new building / development permit call (902) 679-2531.
- For emergency services, like reporting a problem with Municipal Water or Sewer contact (902) 670-3200.
- Please call 902-679-2500 to reach customer service staff for more details, or use our online contact submission form.
- There is a secure drop box at the rear of Town Hall 354 Main Street where. Please consider making online payments. If you need further assistance please contact the finance department.
The Town of Kentville recognizes that current conditions are putting financial strain on some in our community. At the March 30th virtual meeting of Town Council motions were passed that aim to assist those experiencing hardship during this time of emergency.
- All interest charges will be waived on all outstanding accounts from April 1st – June 30th 2020. This applies to property taxes, water rates, and sanitary sewer rates
- The due date for property tax bills has been extended to June 30th 2020
These measures have been put into place in order to support those in our community who need it at this time. The Town of Kentville is encouraging those who are able to make their payments to do so.
In an effort to counter balance the opportunities for outdoor recreation that have been lost to COVID-19, the Recreation Department has created the following initiatives to support the community’s health and well-being during the pandemic. More initiatives are in the planning phases and information will be posted on the Town’s website as details are confirmed.
- Kentville Community Art Exhibit – The community is encouraged to create a piece of artwork of choice to display on their property that can be viewed from the sidewalk or street.
- Pop Up Challenges – Keep your eye on the town Facebook page to participate in different challenges while still maintaining social distance.
- Fitness with Suzi Online – FREE live fitness classes with Suzi Fevens through a Facebook event page. Low Impact Fitness will be on Tuesdays from 10:30 am-11:30 am and Yoga will be offered on Fridays from 1:00 pm-2:00 pm.
The Town of Kentville is encouraging citizens to remain calm and make good common-sense decisions during the state of emergency in addition to following the Provincial directives. This includes staying home, only going out when it is necessary to do so, not going out in groups, and checking in with your neighbors and friends.
Chief Administrative Officer, Kelly Rice
Phone: 902-679-2501 firstname.lastname@example.org
Public Information Officer, Lindsay Young
Phone: 902-698-3127 email@example.com