Do you have direct experience or an interest in accessibility issues? We are looking for residents to join a committee on accessibility issues in Kentville!
Kentville's Accessibility Advisory Committee (AAC) advises Council on the elimination of Barriers faced by people with Disabilities and acts as a liaison with external bodies on Barriers to participation in public life and to the achievement of social, cultural and economic well-being of people with Disabilities. The Committee helps the Town of Kentville become a Barrier-free community and ensures obligations under An Act Respecting Accessibility in Nova Scotia (2017) are met. The Committee will advise Council in the preparation, implementation and effectiveness of its Accessibility Plan. The advisory committee meets six times per year or more as needed. Meetings take place during business hours and the duration of meetings could be up to 2.5 hours.
We are looking for members with the following combined skills and expertise:
- A strong interest in equity and inclusion of people with Disabilities;
- A strong understanding of the needs and concerns of a broad spectrum of people with Disabilities, gained through personal or professional experience;
- Knowledge of accessibility as it relates to one or more areas of: policy and procedure, service planning and delivery, employment, built environment and public spaces, accommodation;
- Experience in decision-making, communication, citizen advocacy;
- Availability to participate in meetings during business hours.
If you are interested in applying for this committee, please complete an application and submit it to Jennifer West, Executive Assistant.
Still seeking applicants! Apply today!